Hearty vegetable soup
On a cool autumn day, this soup can be served as a vegetarian meal by itself.
Cooking time: less than 30 minutes
½ red beet root, peeled, grated
1 medium carrot, peeled, grated
½ large green pepper, cubed
2 medium Chinese eggplants cut into bite-sized pieces
2 stalks green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, grated
1 stalk broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small can tomato paste
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt, ground black pepper to taste
- Boil water in a kettle
- With a vegetable grater, grate beet, carrot, and garlic. Cut remaining ingredients into pieces.
- Heat up olive oil on the bottom of a large cooking pot.
- Add vegetables, and saute, covered for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato paste, mix well, cover, and let cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add boiling water to the pot. Use more water if you prefer thinner soup, or less if you like your soup more thick.
- Cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Soup can be served with a dash of sour cream or bread croutons.